GARFIELD, N.J. — A wind-whipped fire sparked by downed power lines tore through a Garfield two-family house on Sunday.
A tree branch toppled the lines, which struck and charged an aluminum downspout on the Cambridge Avenue building just after 4:30 p.m., responders said.
Firefighters had to hold back until a PSE&G crew could cut power to the lines, which stretched across the driveway and a parked car.
Meanwhile, flames spread through the first and second floor, fanned by winds that reportedly reached 35 miles an hour.
The blaze ran up the walls to the attic, said firefighters who used deck gun to battle some of the second-floor flames.
Mutual aid responders included Saddle Brook, with an engine, a Wallington FAST team and a rescue unit from Elmwood Park that provided a cascade to refill empty air bottles. Lodi firefighters were among those who remained on standby.
No injuries were reported. Residents were being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.